/Matt Thomas – Basketball

Matt Thomas – Basketball

Matt Thomas – Basketball

2017-05-11T13:58:44-05:00 March 16, 2016|

Matt Thomas understands the responsibilities of being on a high-profile team Matt Thomas, a starting guard on the men’s basketball team, is a finance major from Onalaska, Wisconsin. He combines his passion for basketball with his interest in business. Being a student athlete in one of the most visible sports comes with responsibility, which Thomas understands.mattfinal3-300x200

“I take pride in representing the men’s basketball team and Iowa state university whether I am competing, in class, or in the community,” he said. “I realize as a member of the basketball team I am easily recognized on campus and in the community, so I always need to be conducting myself in a positive manner and do the right things because I never know who is watching. At times I wish I was able to not worry about what people would think of me or judge me but that’s not the position I’m in right now. It’s a good problem to have with all the support we get as a men’s basketball program in the community of Ames and from the student body at ISU.”

Matt Thomas earned Academic All-Big 12 first-team honors, which was announced Feb. 24 by the conference office. Thomas is one of just 14 student-athletes on the first team. Thomas was a second-team honoree as a sophomore. First-team members consist of those who have maintained a 3.20 or better GPA and participated in 60 percent of their team’s contests.