/ISU MAcc graduate earns Elijah Watt Sells Award

ISU MAcc graduate earns Elijah Watt Sells Award

2017-07-19T11:49:33-05:00 December 6, 2016|

Grant Seuferer, (’15 MAcc) was the only recipient of the prestigious Elijah Watt Sells Award from Iowa in the past year.  The award is given to candidates that sit for the CPA exam, pass on the first attempt, and obtain an average cumulative score above 95.50 for all four sections of the exam. Out of the 93,742 candidates that sat for the exam in 2015, only 75 qualified for the award.

After playing four years of collegiate baseball and completing his undergraduate degree in accounting at Central College, Seuferer decided to attend Iowa State University to obtain his master of accounting degree. Before stepping foot on campus, Seuferer was provided with an opportunity to study abroad in London for credit towards his MAcc degree.  

This experience provided him with networking opportunities and many invaluable memories. “The study abroad trip is something I recommend for all students considering the MAcc program at Iowa State,” he said. “It allows students to gain new perspectives, create a wider network, and make memories that will last a lifetime.  Electing to study abroad was one of the best decisions I made during my academic career.”

The MAcc program helped Seuferer pass the CPA exams at a high  level because the courses align well with the content on the exams, he said. When asked for his most significant takeaway from years of higher education, Seuferer responded with, “My years in college taught me how to solve problems by myself, ask the right questions, and manage my time effectively.”

Seuferer is currently a tax consultant for Deloitte Tax, LLP in Des Moines. He is grateful to Iowa State for helping him obtain a job at a Big 4 accounting firm to start his career.

“The networking opportunities made possible by Beta Alpha Psi, combined with the resources and relationships of the College of Business Career Services staff, give Iowa State students an advantage when firms and companies come to campus to recruit for internships and full time positions,” Seuferer said. “I think the school does a great job setting up students for success and preparing them to obtain a great job and start their career off in the right direction.”