/Registration is open for 2nd annual Young Women in Business Leadership Camp

Registration is open for 2nd annual Young Women in Business Leadership Camp

2018-02-12T08:23:25-05:00 February 12, 2018|

Ames, Iowa — Gender balance and diversity is good for business. That’s why officials at the Ivy College of Business make it a priority to educate young women about the opportunities ahead of them when they choose to major in business.

“Business leaders are looking for talent,” said Raisbeck Endowed Dean David Spalding.

“That’s why we focus on recruiting a bright, diverse student body so we can educate them and prepare them to be successful in this global economy. Businesses want a diverse talent pool, which includes gender balance. Offering programs such as our Young Women in Business Leadership Camp is one way we can achieve that goal. It’s good for high school students, the college, and employers who hire them in the future.”

Spalding’s goal is to increase the percentage of female business students at Iowa State University to 50 percent. “Currently, we have less than 35 percent female students, which does not reflect the needs of the business world. We can do better.”

The camp is offered for young women entering grades 10-12 who are interested in exploring how their skills and interests translate to opportunities in business. All accommodations, meals, activities, program materials, and transportation during the week are covered by the college.

Caroline Quinn, who currently double majors in marketing and management at the Ivy College of Business, wants other young women to know that business is an excellent choice for women.

“Being a part of the Ivy College of Business has shaped my experience at Iowa State and has made me a better leader, professional, and involved member of the university,” she said. “I’ve been able to work with high quality faculty members who answer all of my questions, network with professionals in the areas I’m interested in, and develop my own leadership skills through involvement with the Collegiate Women in Business club. I’ve been presented with so many opportunities for me to grow as a person and as a professional because of my connections at the Ivy College of Business. I love that I get to be a part of such a great college!”

Camp details:

When: July 15-20, 2018
Where: Iowa State University campus
Who: This is for young women entering grades 10-12 during the 2018-19 academic year. Strong applicants will be rising leaders in their schools and communities, and have GPAs over 3.5
Application deadline: April 1, with notifications made by April 15
Approximately 50 young women will be offered spots for the 2018 camp.

Applications are accepted online at https://www.ivybusiness.iastate.edu/ywib/leadership-camp/. Additional camp information can also be found online, along with frequently asked questions.

The Debbie and Jerry Ivy College of Business offers a wide variety of programs to maximize student potential, connects students with professionals through case competitions, interactive learning, study abroad, internships and ultimately successful employment. The college is accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB). Less than 5 percent of schools offering business degree programs worldwide have earned this credential.

# # #