Recently, I shared with you the exciting news of changes in the associate dean positions. You each received the news releases before they were sent to the media and shared on our website. As a recap, the changes are as follows:
- Jackie Rees Ulmer, associate dean for professional master’s programs
- Joey George, associate dean for research
- Valentina Salotti, associate dean for undergraduate programs
- Scott Grawe, will remain associate dean for strategy and engagement through the end of this semester.
I’d like to thank Russ Laczniak for his service as associate dean for research and graduate programs. Russ has returned to teaching. Please join me in congratulating them all!
More than 600 people attended the Business Record’s annual Book of Lists Unveiling Event, January 4, which we have sponsored for the past three years. This was record attendance! Guests included CEOs, business leaders, alumni, and friends of Iowa State and the college. We host this event in Capital Square, downtown Des Moines, for several reasons:
- to increase our visibility in the Des Moines market
- to highlight our classroom space in Capital Square
- to promote our professional programs
- to network with alumni, business professionals, and key stakeholders in Des Moines.
Please enjoy the photos and details posted on our website.
Thank you to everyone who was able to attend the “We Are Ivy” Brand Launch Party yesterday. We are the first college at Iowa State University to be named, and the first to go through this process. I would like to thank our marketing and communications team for their assistance with organizing this event to help all Ivy faculty and staff learn about the brand. A special thanks goes to Michele Appelgate and Emily Bowman for their ongoing work over the past year-and-a-half with our advertising agency. If you were unable to attend, please enjoy these photos
Please note a new section within the marketing and communications services section that highlights our upcoming events at the college. This will be a standing feature that links to the college events page. I encourage you all to visit that calendar regularly, so you are aware of the many important events being planned.
Dianna Janvrin, William L. Varner Professor:
- Presented a paper titled, “Automating the Bank Confirmation Process: An Analysis of Auditor and Bank Errors,” co-authored with Paul Caster (Fairfield University) and Randy Elder (University of North Carolina Greensboro) at the American Accounting Association (AAA) Accounting Information Systems (AIS) midyear meeting in San Antonio, Texas, January 11. This paper was in the Research Poster Session at the AAA Auditing midyear meeting in Nashville, Tennessee, January 19.
- Presented a paper titled, “Auditing the Financial Close Process: An Investigation of Current Procedures and Implications for Research,” with Maureen Mascha (Purdue University – Northwest) and Melvin Lamboy-Ruiz, assistant professor of accounting, at the Journal of Information Systems Research Conference, January 11. This paper was also in the Research Poster Session at the AAA Auditing midyear meeting in Nashville, Tennessee, January 19.
Business Career Services
Welcome back to the spring semester!
We are excited to work with students and continue to guide them on their individual career search. Faculty and staff play an important role supporting students and their goals. Helping students in their job searches may have legal and ethical implications. Please read the guidelines for providing references and faculty/staff interaction with recruiters: A FACULTY GUIDE TO ETHICAL AND LEGAL STANDARDS IN STUDENT HIRING
The 2019 Spring Business, Industry & Technology Career Fair (February 13) is highlighted below in the marketing and communications event section, and on the college website. The Career Fair Breakfast will be that morning prior to the career fair from 9:00-10:30 a.m. at the Scheman Building. Interview Day will be held in the Scheman Building, Thursday, February 14. Students can apply for on-campus recruiting positions in CyHire and meet with employers at the career fair to be considered for their opportunities. If you have not already done so, please consider inviting a career services staff member into your class to briefly share information about the career fair to your students.
In January, our office worked with ConAgra, EUSA International Internship Programs, Global Experiences, Iowa Economic Development Association, and Lansing Housing Products.
Tanya Austin provided a StrengthsFinder Presentation to John Wong’s Personal Sales classes (60 students total).
Kathy Wieland and Tanya Austin presented a Strengths Discovery workshop to 80 leaders of Mary Greeley Medical Center.
Travis Sapp, Dean’s Faculty Fellow in Finance, will present the paper “Insider Trading Ahead of Cyber Breach Announcements” at the Eastern Finance Association Annual Meeting in Miami in April. The paper is coauthored by Zhaoxin Lin, PhD candidate of information systems, Jackie Rees Ulmer, associate dean for professional master’s programs, and Rahul Parsa, senior lecturer of MIS.
Marketing and Communications Services (formerly Dean’s Marketing)
- Branding campaign: Thank you to everyone who attended our branding launch party!
If you were unable to attend, please enjoy some of the photos. We also announced a new page on our website to assist everyone at the college with tips and tools for helping us promote one consistent brand. We also have a printed resource guide available. Please let a member of our team know if you would like one.
- Our January advertisements included:
Emily Bowman, graphic designer, attended the Employee Self Service (ESS) & General Navigation WorkCyte Workshop on January 22.
Events – We have some exciting news to share about our promotional efforts of your events. Wehave improved our events pages to improve event details and improved search capabilities. The college website now has an additional link to events on the home page. You can find it at the top of the page on the right side. High- level college events are also featured on the home page in the rotating photos.
Rather than list upcoming events here in Ivy Online, please use our Project Request to make sure all of your events are listed on the college website. Our goal is to encourage all faculty and staff to routinely visit the events page. This is a very helpful resource. A few upcoming events include:
- Building Our Community
- Business, Industry, and Technology Career Fairand the Career Fair Breakfast
- Reiman Speaker Series
Please visit the college events calendar for a complete list of upcoming events.
Raj Agnihotri, Dean’s Fellow in Marketing and director of Ivy Sales Consortium:
- Conducted the Faculty Development Workshop at Science Technology Entrepreneurs Park- HBTI (sponsored by government of India) in Kanpur, India, during winter break. The theme was “Researching and Publishing in Top Journals.” Business faculty members from several reputed universities in India attended.
- Had his published article with Michael Krush (Kansas State University), Gerry Macintosh (North Dakota State University), and Ashish Kalra (La Salle University), titled, “Salesperson Networking Behaviors and Creativity: Exploring an Unconventional Relationship,” named the 2018 Article of the Year for Marketing Management Journal.
Russ Lanczniak, associate dean for graduate programs and research:
- Had his paper titled, “Understanding Parental Mediation of Violent Television Commercials,” accepted for publication in the Journal of Consumer Marketing. This was co-authored by Akshaya Vijayalakshmi (Indian Institute of Management) and Deanne Brocato (Utah State University).
- Had his paper titled, “Female Power Portrayals in Advertising,” co-authored by Melika Kordrostami (California State University), accepted for presentation at the Academy of Marketing Science Conference in May.
Stephen Kim, Raisbeck Endowed Professor of Marketing, has his paper titled, “From Bricks to an Edifice: Cultivating Strong Inference in MIS Research,” co-authored with Amrit Tiwana (University of Georgia), accepted for publication at Information Systems Research.
The following press coverage is for Joey George’s appointment to associate dean for research (from our news release):
- January 3: “Iowa State University Ivy College of Business Associate Dean of Research Names,” published by the Ames Tribune. See the article here.
- January 4: “Ivy College of Business Names George as Associate Dean for Research,” published by the Business Record. Read the post here.
The following press coverage is for Valentina Salotti’s appointment to associate dean for undergraduate programs (from our news release):
- January 8: “Ivy College of Business Names Valentine Salotti New Associate Dean,” published by the Iowa State Daily. Read the article here.
- January 9: “Salotti Named Ivy College Associate Dean for Undergraduate Programs,” published by the Business Record. Read the post here.
- January 10: “Associate Dean named for ISU Ivy College of Business,” published by the Ames Tribune. See the article here.
- January 21: featured in the Business Record’s “On the Move” section.
January 14: Johanna Amaya-Leal, assistant professor of supply chain management, was interviewed in the article, “Increase in E-Commerce-Related Last-Mile Deliveries Clog Urban Streets,” published by Freight Waves. Read the article here.
The following media covered research by James Brown, Kingland MBA Professor and chair of finance, titled, “Early Exposure to Banking Influences Life-Long Financial Health”:
- January 9: Iowa State News Service. See the article here.
- January 15: USAgNet. See the article here.
- January 15: Iowa Ag Connection. See the article here.
- January 16: Wisconsin Ag Connection. See the article here.
- January 16: Nebraska Ag Connection. See the article here.
- January 16: Michigan Ag Connection. See the article here.
- January 16: Kansas Ag Connection. See the article here.
- January 16: Indiana Ag Connection. See the article here.
- January 16: Pennsylvania Ag Connection. See the article here.
- January 16: Minnesota Ag Connection. See the article here.
- January 16: Kentucky Ag Connection. See the article here.
- January 16: New York Ag Connection. See the article here.
- January 16: Missouri Ag Connection. See the article here.
- January 16: South Dakota Ag Connection. See the article here.
- January 16: Ohio Ag Connection. See the article here.
January 22: The Ivy College of Business entrepreneurship major was featured in the article, “Enrollment Rises for Entrepreneurship Major at Iowa State,” published by the Ames Tribune. Read the article here.
January 23: David Spalding was mentioned in the article, “ISU Startup Factory Announces Twelve New Teams for its Sixth Cohort,” published by Clay & Milk. Read the article here.
Supply Chain and Information Systems
Frank Montabon, associate professor of supply chain management, had his article, “Buyer-Supplier Relationships and Organizational Values in Supplier Social Compliance,” accepted by Journal of Cleaner Production. This is part of an ongoing project regarding the social performance of supply chains conducted with collaborators in Pakistan and Saudi Arabia.
Ivy Yuan, assistant professor of information systems, had her co-authored paper, “Crossing the Uncanny Valley? Understanding Trustworthiness towards Realistic Virtual Humans in Mixed Realities,” receive Best Paper Award in the Decision Analytics, Mobile Service, and Service Science Track and ISSIP-IBM-CBA Student Paper Award for Best Industry Studies Paper Hawaii International Conference on System Science (HICSS) 2019.
Patricia Daugherty, Debbie and Jerry Ivy Chair in Business and professor of supply chain management, had her work (originally published in International Journal of Physical Distribution & Logistics) featured in a two-part series, “Logistics and Distribution Innovation in China,” published by UPS Longitudes. This was co-authored by Alan Amling, vice president of corporate strategy at UPS. Read the article here.
Robert Overstreet, assistant professor of supply chain management, was appointed as the Industry Note and Book Review Editor of Transportation Journal, effective January 2019.
Rui Chen, associate professor of information systems:
- was invited to co-chair the Track of Information Security and Privacy of the annual Americas Conference on Information Systems (AMCIS) in 2019. AMCIS is one of the most prestigious conferences for information systems and it is sponsored by the Association for Information Systems.
- had a manuscript titled, “Digital Natives’ Coping with Loneliness: Facebook or Face-to-Face?” accepted for publication in Information & Management, co-authored by Elodie Gentina (IESEG School of Management, France).
Dave Cantor, the Mark & Terri Walker Professor in Logistics and Supply Chain Management:
- with co-author, Yao “Henry” Jin, had a paper accepted at the Journal of Operations Management. The title of their paper is: “Theoretical and Empirical Evidence of Behavioral and Production Line Factors That Influence Helping Behavior.”
- with co-authors, Anupam Kumar and Curt Grimm, had a paper accepted at Transportation Research Part E. The title of their paper is: “The Impact of Supplier’s Environmental Management Concerns on a Buyer’s Environmental Reputation.
New student orientation for spring 2019 wrapped up on January 11. Approximately 80 new spring-entry students were seen at orientations in October, November, and January. Of those students, 11 were international students and nine were freshmen.
Taylor Shire represented Ivy College of Business international opportunities at the Iowa State University Study Abroad Fair, January 24.
An informational meeting for students interested in the new actuarial science major was held February 1, in the Gerdin Business Building. Austin Haytko and Diann Burright lead these meetings. Austin serves as the actuarial science lead adviser, so if you have students inquire, please refer them to firstname.lastname@example.org.