/Masters Programs Kick Off

Masters Programs Kick Off

Masters Programs Kick Off

2019-11-22T11:26:22-06:00 November 22, 2019|

At Ivy, we help working professionals advance their careers

At the end of July, as summer school students were wrapping up finals, faculty and staff at the Debbie and Jerry Ivy College of Business were busy preparing for the next academic year — for working professionals.

Three masters programs, designed for professionals who are interested in advancing their careers, kicked off in the Gerdin Business Building.

“These programs are just a few examples showing that we are a college on the move,” said Raisbeck Endowed Dean David Spalding. “We add new programs when we see a need that benefits our students, alumni, and industry. This includes working professionals who are ready to take their careers to the next level.”

Associate Dean for Professional Masters Programs Jacquelyn Rees Ulmer, who is also the Union Pacific Professor of Information Systems, led the work of launching the three programs.

“I encourage anyone with a bachelor’s degree to consider enrolling in one of our masters programs as part of their long-term career planning,” Ulmer said. “These are unique opportunities for our students. Each program fits their path in a way that sets them up for success.”

Master of Business Analytics

Starting its fifth year, the master of business analytics is an interdisciplinary graduate program for employed professionals that addresses the challenges of dealing with data analytics and business intelligence in the big data environment. This unique, blended program draws from several of Iowa State’s leading educational fields in science and technology, including computer science, electrical and computer engineering, statistics, and industrial and manufacturing systems engineering. The 21-month program is especially suited for professionals with work experience in a data analytics-related field. Offered in a convenient format of distance learning and brief campus residencies, the master of business analytics program is ideal for the full-time working professional.
Students started the academic year with a one-week intensive, on campus learning experience July 31–August 4.

“I enrolled in the master’s program in business analytics at Iowa State University because I wanted to expand my knowledge in the area since I have my bachelor’s degree in the area. Information in this field keeps expanding and there is more to learn from the information provided. I am hoping that this experience will allow me to use different tools and techniques to find the information that the company/organization is looking for to answer questions and increase profitability.”

Taylor Fischer
REG (Renewable Energy Group)

Master of Real Estate Development

In its first year, the Iowa State University master of real estate development (MRED) prepares professionals for career success in today’s real estate industry. Jointly created by the College of Design, Ivy College of Business, and industry leaders, the Iowa State MRED program offers students essential academic training, networking opportunities, and collaboration with leading academics and practitioners to solve real-world problems. Areas of study include real estate market analysis, finance, investments, leadership and negotiation, fundamentals of the built environment, construction science and urban planning. Offered in a convenient format of distance learning and brief campus residencies, the MRED program is ideal for the full-time working professional.

Students started the academic year with a one-week intensive, on campus learning experience August 5–9.

“I enrolled in the Ivy master of real estate development program to learn more about design, construction, and to broaden my knowledge of the real estate development profession. I work at Principal Real Estate Investors doing asset management in the private equity division. The knowledge I am gaining in this program will help me better create value for our clients. I am thankful that Principal supports me while continuing my education.”

Becky Blaalid (’19 finance, entrepreneurship)
Principal Financial Group

Executive MBA

In its first year, the Ivy Executive MBA (EMBA) is a 21-month program for professionals in food, agriculture, and biosystems. It’s designed for high potential employees that need a fast, flexible way to achieve their MBA while increasing their leadership responsibilities in their organization. Classes, taught by internationally known Ivy faculty, meet face-to-face every three weeks on Fridays and Saturdays in Central Iowa. In between classes, there are online interactions to enhance the courses. The curriculum delivers traditional MBA content in partnership with Iowa State University’s College of Agriculture and Life Sciences to offer customized content and case studies.

Students started the academic year with a one-week intensive, on campus learning experience August 19–23.

“Launch Week was an excellent way to immerse myself into the executive MBA program. This is clearly a one-of-a-kind program and the caliber of members in the cohort is impressive. I have no doubt that this is going to be a great opportunity with knowledge and experience that I’ll have to carry with me in my career.”

Kayla Vandehaar
Lauridsen Group Inc.