AMES, Iowa – Students in the Ivy College of Business are gearing up for Business Week 2020, a special week of activities designed for Ivy College of Business students and students who may be considering business as a major.
The purpose of Business Week is to celebrate and promote the college through professional development, corporate engagement, philanthropic efforts, and student appreciation in both a professional and social manner.
“This year, Business Week was moved to coincide with the opening of the new Gerdin Business Building expansion, which we are excited to show our students,” said Raisbeck Endowed Dean David Spalding. “Our Business Week planning committee will offer small group tours as part of our celebration. I think Ivy students are going to be extremely pleased with what they see.”
Even though large group events are not possible this year, students will find value in this year’s Business Week celebration.
“I would like to thank our Business Week committee for planning these events at a time when it’s difficult to organize large gatherings. We invite Ivy students, and anyone interested in business, to join us for as many activities as possible,” Spalding said.
With the exception of Wednesday’s virtual lecture, all Business Week events will take place in the Kingland Hub, a large common space on the first floor of the Gerdin Business Building’s new expansion. Face coverings are required for all events.
2020 Business Week activities include:
Monday, November 9:
- Expansion tours: The Ivy community is invited to celebrate the opening of the Gerdin Business Building expansion. Get an inside look at the 45,000 square-foot expansion with a 20-minute guided tour. See the new classrooms, team rooms, and sales suite while learning about this student-centered building. Small tour groups will depart from the Kingland Hub on the half hour between 1:00-3:00 p.m. and again at 3:15 and 3:45 p.m.
- Open house: The college will host an open house from 2:00-4:00 p.m. in the Kingland Hub. Raisbeck Endowed Dean David Spalding will deliver brief remarks at 3:00 p.m. Enjoy free coffee, hot chocolate, and ISU Creamery ice cream, including the new Business Brew flavor, invented by students from the Ivy College of Business. Ivy students can enter a drawing to win one of five $50 gift cards to the ISU Book Store.
- Professional photos for Ivy students: Ivy students are invited to stop by the Kingland Hub between 12:00-2:00 p.m. for a professional photo taken by the Ivy College of Business photographer. Photos are free for Ivy students and are perfect for LinkedIn profiles.
Tuesday, November 10:
- Student Appreciation Day! Drop by the Kingland Hub between 10:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m. for a free Thelma’s ice cream sandwich in appreciation of Ivy students. The first 50 students will also receive a free “We are Ivy” t-shirt. Thank you to all the Ivy students, faculty, staff, alumni, and friends who work to strengthen our community and invest in the future of the Ivy College of Business.
Wednesday, November 11:
- Keynote speaker: The Ivy College of Business is pleased to welcome our 2020 Business Week speaker, Miriam Harris Lewis, chief inclusion officer at Principal Financial Group. In this role, she has global responsibility for designing, leading, and implementing strategies that foster a more inclusive workplace, increase employee performance, drive better outcomes for customers, and ultimately improve business results. Lewis will deliver a virtual lecture, “Let’s Talk About Diversity and Inclusion!” at 5:00 p.m., followed by a Q&A session. Read more about Miriam and find WebEx details on the Ivy website.
Thursday, November 12:
- Stress Relief Thursday! Stressing about finals and end-of-the-semester projects? Stop by the Kingland Hub between 10:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m. and take a big deep breath. Chill out and cozy up with treats, quick stress-relief activities, and prize drawings for Ivy socks and stocking hats.
Click here to view the Business Week events calendar.