Every fall, the Ivy College of Business hosts an internal case competition for Ivy MBAs. It’s an opportunity for MBAs to apply their new knowledge and skills in front of a panel of judges made up of top-level executives.  The student benefit is obvious, but the execs get something out of it too.

Here’s the opinion of a few leaders who sat in on the final round as judges:

“Serving as a judge for the final round of the case competition allowed me to see firsthand how the students applied what they’ve learned through their MBA education. I saw their teamwork, problem-solving, and extemporaneous speaking skills on display in the short time they had to present their cases. It was impressive to see and a great experience from my perspective.”

Ann Marie VanDerZanden, associate provost for academic programs at Iowa State University

“I was delighted to serve as a judge for the 2020 Iowa State University MBA Case Competition.  The competition was very well organized and expertly managed. The materials and instructions provided in advance were comprehensive but to the point and the competitive event ran like clockwork. It was a pleasure and honor to interact with students who are exceptionally talented and motivated. Serving as a judge was another small way for me to pay it forward for ISU!”

Renee Schaaf, president, retirement and income solutions, at Principal

“If you ever wanted to help the next generation of leaders, and who doesn’t, I strongly encourage you to serve as a judge for the Iowa State University MBA case competition. It is an opportunity to observe, coach, and mentor all packaged in a great experience. The time was well spent, and I was truly gratified to have the satisfaction of knowing that I was able to give back.”

Suku Radia, retired CEO of Bankers Trust and Ivy College of Business professor of practice

“I really enjoyed serving as a final-round judge for the Iowa State University Ivy College of Business annual full-time MBA case competition as the students demonstrated ingenuity and passion when presenting their business case proposals. The Ivy faculty and staff were very professional, engaging, and supportive in the pre-planning and execution of the case competition. If asked to serve as a judge for the case competition again, I will surely accept the invitation.”

Brandon Kennedy, global supply base manager at John Deere