They say it’s not what you know, but who. Getting an introduction to the right person sitting in the right seat can make the difference between getting your dream job and striking out.  

For Interim Director of Graduate Career Services, Tabatha Carney, making sure students have the skills they need to land their next position is her main focus. To help students learn how to get connected, Carney hosted a coaching session called, “Expanding Your Network Through the “Modern Day Rolodex.” 

“In the olden days, business professionals kept track of contact information and business cards in a Rolodex,” Carney explained to students. “Today, we have LinkedIn. The job market has changed. Recruitment has changed. It’s important to pivot in order to meet today’s needs.” 

Carney started with a basic tutorial about how the platform works, then transitioned to higher-level skills like leveraging your network’s connections. 

Students who attended the event walked away with news skills pivotal to career success. First-year MBA student, Julia Zellmer, attended the session. 

“Before the training, I never really knew how useful LinkedIn could be,” Zellmer said. “From now on, I will be replacing that pile of business cards on my desk with LinkedIn connections and reach out to my contacts using the site’s messenger. The training pulled me into the modern age of networking.” 

Giving students the tools they need for a successful job search is Carney’s focus.  

“Throughout our lives, we come to crossroads,” Carney said. “It’s important for the students to understand that each stage of life is a time to explore and grow and that there are tools available to help them position themselves for success. I am passionate about guiding others through these transitions and hearing their stories. I really enjoy these coaching sessions and seeing the students progress.” 

The Graduate Business Career Services staff works closely with students, employers, and alumni to foster positive and productive recruiting relationships. To learn more about how they can help you, contact them at gradbuscs@iastate.edu.