Resume Evaluation Guide
Elements of a Resume
Your full name should be listed at the top of the resume including phone and email address. You may also include your current and/or permanent address. A LinkedIn URL is also common in this section.
Professional Summary Statement
Professional Summary Statements and Examples
- List your current institution and other colleges from which you have received degrees. List in reverse chronological order.
- You may list coursework and/or projects if it adds value to your resume. Use course titles, not course numbers.
- List other educational experiences such as: special workshops, certificates, etc.
- You should not list your high school education.
- Include your grade point average if it is a strength in this section either by major or just your overall. Include the grading scale with the same number of decimal points. (3.0/4.0 or 3.54/4.00)
- If you are sending out your resume before your actual date of graduation, there is no need to say “expected date of graduation”. Simply list the date next to your degree.
Iowa State University, Ames, Iowa
Bachelor of Science, May 20__
Major: Finance, Minor: Statistics
Employers weigh a number of factors when screening resumes, but two of the more important items are your academic credentials and experience. For this reason, you should put the Experience section of your resume immediately after the Education section.
Full-time employment, internships/co-ops, work-study, summer positions and part-time jobs can provide experience for inclusion in your resume. Volunteer positions and leadership roles are also good choices for this section. If you have career-related experience (it can be paid or volunteer) you should excerpt these experiences out of historical context and put them under the heading of Career Related Experience. See example on Resume examples.
Use concise phrases headed with action verbs to describe your job duties and the skills you developed or refined. Quantify your accomplishments and responsibilities when possible. Pay particular attention to the number of people you supervised, the number of dollars you handled, and the increases in productivity which resulted from your efforts.
Use the appropriate tense for current employment and past tense for previous employment.
Possible Action Verbs
Iowa State University, Department of Athletics, Ames, IA
Marketing Intern, May-August 20__
- Contacted prospective season ticket owners for sales and focus group meetings
- Assembled and sent customer survey/questionnaire to over 1000 clients
- Compiled survey results and produced survey report
- Utilized survey results to help develop new sales promotions which were fully implemented
If these activities are career-related experiences, you might consider moving them to that section of your resume. If you were an editor of the Iowa State Daily, held an elected office on the business council or were instrumental in the organization of a large event, then you should include this in your resume.
We suggest you omit activities of a religious or political nature when possible, but this is a personal choice.
- Gerdin Business Council, Vice President, Spring 20__-20__
- Gerdin Citizenship Program, Fellowship Leader, Fall 20__
- Society for Human Resource Management, Spring 20__
- Gerdin Off-Campus Student Organization, Social Chairperson
- Gerdin Business/LAS Career Fair Ambassador
- Gerdin Intramural Basketball, Participant
- Conversational English Tutor for international students
Special Skills and Training
You may have special skills and/or training in addition to your education or work experience that could appeal to an employer. The ability to speak a foreign language, conduct research, and utilize specialized computer programs could be of interest to a prospective employer.
- Programming experience in Java
- Knowledge of the following software: Quicken, Quick Books, Illustrator, Photoshop
- Fluency in Mandarin and English
Example for MIS majors:
Operating Systems: UNIX, Linux, Windows XP
Languages: Java, SQL
Software: Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, HTML
Example for other majors:
Computer skills: Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Access
Professional Memberships Samples:
- Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM)
- Society of Certified Public Accountants (SCPA)
- Association for Operations Management (APICS)
- Institute of Supply Management (ISM)
- American Marketing Association (AMA)
- Dean’s List, Fall, 20__
- Cardinal Key, 20__
- Gerdin Leaders Academy, 20__
- University Honors Program, 20__
- Carver Scholar, 20__
Briefly describe any projects executed through courses or clubs.
- Developed database for inventory of automotive parts store utilizing SQL
- Organized local 5K to benefit area Boys and Girls Club