Why business at Iowa State? Let us show you.
Young Women in Business (YWIB) Visit Day is a day-in-the-life experience designed to give female high school students and their families the opportunity to explore what it’s really like to study business at Iowa State. Participants will have the opportunity to attend mini-classes taught by Ivy faculty, connect with members of the Collegiate Women in Business student organization, tour the Gerdin Business Building and campus, enjoy lunch at a campus dining center, network with alumnae, and more!
This program is designed for female students in grades 11-12 and their supporters. There is no cost to attend YWIB Visit Day, but registration is required, using the form below.
Schedule of Events
|8:15-8:45 am||Check-in and light breakfast|
|8:45-9:15 am||Welcome and preview of the Ivy College of Business|
|9:15-9:45 am||Student panel|
|10:00-10:50 am||Session 1|
|11:00-11:50 am||Lunch with current business students|
|12:10-1:00 pm||Tour of the Gerdin Business Building|
|1:10-2:00 pm||Session 2|
|2:10-3:00 pm||Dessert with the Deans and closing remarks|
|3:10-4:00 pm||Residence hall tour (optional)|
Session 1 Options
What are the True Costs of Cybersecurity Breaches?
Diane Janvrin, William L. Varner Professor/Associate Professor of Accounting
Cybersecurity breaches are constantly in the news. Identifying how much these breaches cost their organizations is challenging. We will discuss the role of accounting in determining the costs of cybersecurity breaches and what organizations need to disclose to the public regarding these costs.
Exploring Supply Chain Management
- Amber Bellville, Lecturer of Supply Chain Management
The Who, What, Why and How of Becoming an Actuary
- Rahul Parsa, Senior Lecturer of MIS and Actuarial Science Program Director
Entrepreneurship in Business: What Is It and Why Should It Matter?
- Ryan Bhattacharyya, Lecturer of Management
- We are all entrepreneurs in some way, whether or not we run our own businesses. Learn strategies to help you be your best self in the work environment, as well as in non-work settings.
Management Program Information Session
- Monica Gordillo, Lecturer of Management
Business Outside the Classroom
- Tara Fisher, Academic Adviser, Ivy College of Business
- Meet current Ivy College of Business students and learn about getting involved and growing your leadership skills.
Session 2 Options
Building Connections with Business Learning Teams
- Kathy Weaver, Academic Adviser and Business Learning Teams Co-Coordinator
- Meet Ivy College of Business peer mentors and learn more about your experience as a first-year business student at Iowa State.
Wall Street Survivor
- Valentina Salotti, Associate Dean for Undergraduate Programs and Associate Professor of Finance
- Players will create portfolios of stocks with different risk profiles, and your investment will be exposed to random events (good or bad) that will determine how the investment performs. You will be able to change your investment composition to seek a better performance or more protection against market risk.
Exploring Management Information Systems
- Jackie Rees Ulmer, Associate Dean for Professional Masters Programs and Professor of Management Information Systems
Marketing Solutions to a Worldwide Health Problem
- Huifang Mao, Associate Professor of Marketing
- Iron deficiency is a common health problem worldwide. This session encourages participants to seek marketing solutions to increase the iron intake of consumers who cannot afford iron supplements.
Careers in Business: Exploration and Success (This session is filled)
- Haley Flores, Career Coordinator, Business Career Services
- With so many careers to choose from, have you determined your career path? In this session, Business Career Services will explore careers in business and resources, as well as tips for success. You have a unique career journey — make the most of it!
Business International Programs
- Taylor Shire, International Programs Coordinator, Ivy College of Business
- Learn more about the global experiences you can gain as an Ivy College of Business student!