A much-needed Gerdin Business Building expansion is under way. Work on the $28 million, three-story, 45,000 square foot addition started in February. The expansion is expected to be complete in the fall 2020, with classes being held in the new space beginning January 2021. The need for the addition is evident. Over the past six years, enrollment in the college has increased by 40 percent. BNIM of Des Moines and Story Construction of Ames are the design-build team for the addition, which is being constructed on the east side of the Gerdin Business Building, facing Wallace Road.
New Live Stream Video
Click the still photo below to link to the real time, live streaming video of the expansion work.
Week of July 8
The expansion to the Gerdin Business Building is proceeding well. Here is a brief update on the activities that have been completed.
- The walls and floor of the basement mechanical room have been poured.
- The construction crew is working on the rest of the concrete foundation and should finish pouring the remainder of the walls later this week or early next week.
- The air handling unit for the new addition has been set into place in the mechanical room.
- The size of the sanitary sewer outlet pipe has been increased to accommodate the bathrooms in the new addition.
Upcoming activities in the next two weeks include:
- Backfilling the area around the foundation
- Installation of the ground floor deck (floor).
Wallace Road closed May 13 directly south of the entrance to the top portion of the East Campus Parking Deck. The south entrance to Farmhouse Lane will be closed as well. That portion of Wallace Roadwill be closed for the remainder of the construction period for the new addition to the Gerdin Business Building. The sidewalk along that portion of Wallace Road will be closed as well.
To get to the Gerdin Business Building from the East Campus Parking Deck, you can walk out the north end of the parking deck, cross Wallace Road, and either go through Heady Hall or take the sidewalk between Heady Hall and the Food Sciences Building to get to Farmhouse Lane. You can then go south on Farmhouse Lane until you get to the handicapped entrance at the northeast corner of the Gerdin Business Building, which will remain open. Alternately, you can walk out the south end of the East Campus Parking Deck to Union Drive and take the sidewalk along Union Drive to the south entrance to the Gerdin Business Building.
Week of May 28:
Although the rain that has occurred the last two weeks has slowed the construction on the Gerdin Business Building expansion project, good progress on the expansion continues to occur. The majority of on-site construction activity involves the pouring of the concrete perimeter walls for the basement mechanical room. While foundation work continues outside, mechanical and electrical contractors are working on new plumbing connections and disconnects inside the existing building. They have also been constructing temporary walls on the inside of the south and east facing corridors on ground, first, and second floors. These walls are necessary to seal off the interior of the building from exterior construction activities as windows are removed and other demolition and construction activities occur on the exterior face of the building.
Week of April 22:
· Testing and completion of the underslab drainage plumbing piping.
· As part of the Expansion project, Wallace Road will be closed for over 1 year beginning the week of May 13. To improve traffic at the intersection of Wallace and Beach, temporary traffic signal installation is underway.
· Concrete reinforcement installation and the first concrete footing pours are scheduled to begin before the end of the week.
Plenty of activity and progress was made on-site this week. The (temporary) construction project sign was placed this week, and the Expansion celebration event was held on-site April 11, 2019. The major completion milestone of finishing the remaining earth retention system installations and large excavation has been achieved.
Week of April 15:
- Final remaining tie-backs and foam insulation board will be complete this week.
- Excavation for and the installation of underslab rough-in for plumbing, mechanical, and electrical systems.
- Part of the construction crane arrived on-site Friday, April 12 with the remainder to be completed on Saturday, April 13.
- Power and data connections are being coordinated for the project construction site webcam.
Week of March 18
· Domestic water outage – exact date this week to be determined. ISU Utilities to cut and connect new water main. Notification to building staff will go out soon.
· Continue excavation and earth retention system. Earth retention system related work will continue for several weeks.
· ISU Utilities to deliver and connect temporary backflow preventer to provide construction water source.
Week of March 11
• Earth retention system installation
Week of March 4
· Site excavation and installation of new water main
· Fill and flush of new water main is underway. ISU Utilities to begin testing steps for new domestic water main
The Iowa State Daily is reporting on the initial work for construction of the new Gerdin Business Building expansion. The expansion of the Gerdin Business Building has officially begun. Because of this, on Feb. 4 [...]
(Ames, Iowa — Wednesday, October 31, 2018) After carefully reviewing project proposals from 11 teams and narrowing it to three finalists in June, one design-build team has been selected for a major expansion of the [...]