The College of Business MBA program at Iowa State University values differences that are inherent in our program. We are committed to growing our diversity and have recently participated in the Graduate College inclusion workshop training.
Stacy Ko, a doctoral student in counseling psychology and Shane Kavanaugh, a doctoral student in human development and family studies led the workshop at the College of Business.
Six MBA students and a staff member participated in a round-table discussion coordinated by Stacy and Shane. This was followed by a workshop attended by ten MBA students and a staff member.
The workshop included:
- A video with the question “how privileged are you?”
- Discussing the terms identity, privilege and oppression
- Filling out and discussing a personal identity wheel
- Discussing “dumb things well-intended people say”
- Analyzing real-life cases that have taken place on the ISU campus
- Discussing the implications of this on professional and personal lives
The workshop helped our MBA students learn to nurture a more inclusive culture and its positive impact both individually and institutionally.
The College of Business is a heterogeneous community that welcomes people from all walks of life.