Academic excellence is the hallmark of the Ivy College of Business Honors Program.
Ivy College of Business faculty and staff provide talented, motivated students with the support and encouragement they need to achieve the best business education possible. Honors students can expect to be:
- Supported to develop honors programs of study that helps them reach their goals
- Challenged to promote personal and professional growth
- Inspired to become future leaders in the global marketplace and in their own communities
We expect honors students to be inquisitive, eager to learn, and excited by new discoveries not only in their disciplines, but also in themselves!
All students enrolled at Iowa State University, who have a cumulative GPA of 3.50 or above, and have more than 48 credit hours remaining until graduation, are eligible to apply to the University Honors Program (UHP). Once accepted to the program, students will automatically become a member of the Debbie and Jerry Ivy College of Business Honors Program. Eligible students are encouraged to enter the UHPas early as possible to gain maximum benefits from the program.
To apply for membership in the UHP, students must:
- Review UHP requirements for the Ivy College of Business below. Students are NOT required to meet with the Ivy College of Business Honors Program Coordinators prior to submitting applications to UHP.
- Apply online: The online application requires students to reflect on why they are interested in joining UHP and how it will benefit them in their ongoing education and future careers. Applications can be completed at any time, but are typically only reviewed once during each fall, spring, and summer term by UHP staff.
- Wait to receive a response from UHP regarding your application. Students who are admitted to UHP will be contacted by the Ivy College of Business Honors Program coordinators with additional details on the Business Honors Orientation.
- Join the Ivy College of Business Honors Program Canvas site to stay on track with completing your Honors requirements. You will receive an email invitation to join.
- Still have questions? Contact the Ivy College of Business Honors Program coordinators by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
In order to maintain good standing in the University Honors program, business students must:
- Maintain a cumulative GPA of 3.50 or above.
- Develop an Honors Program of Study (POS) that outlines all degree requirements and includes all required honors components. Specific requirements can be found in the Ivy College of Business Honors Program Canvas site that you will be invited to once you have been accepted into the Honors Program.
- Complete all required honors components.
Ivy College of Business Honors Components for those who started at Iowa State University Fall 2018 and after:
- Complete a minimum of 2 Honors designated courses (such as ECON 101H, SP CM 212H, ENGL 302H, any contracted business honors course, or any approved ICOB honors course)
- Minimum of 2 Honors Seminars (Fall semester: HON 321; Spring Semester: HON 322)
- Minimum of 50 credits at the 300-level or above
- Senior Honors Project (BUSAD 490H)
- Present at the University Honors Poster Presentation upon completion of Senior Honors Project
- Required to demonstrate breadth, depth and leadership through a variety of experiences. For specifics, contact the ICOB Honors Advisers.
Ivy College of Business Honors Components for those who were at Iowa State University prior to Fall 2018:
In order to graduate with honors, students must complete an Honors Project and present their work at the University Honors Poster Presentation held during the Fall and Spring semesters. This project provides students with the opportunity to explore a research interest under supervision of an Iowa State University faculty member. Students will be registered for BUSAD 490H in the semester in which research is conducted. This 1-3 credit course will be graded (A-F) by the Honors Project adviser.
To complete the Honors Project, students will:
- Determine a project topic and project faculty advisor
- Complete a Project Proposal
- Complete the project under supervision of Honors Project adviser
- Present the project in poster form at the University Honors Poster Presentation
- Brainstorm Honors project ideas by:
- Attending fall and spring University Honors Project Poster Sessions
- Talking to other Honors students about their research
- Consulting Resource Room of the Jischke Honors Building to review past project abstracts
- Identify faculty members who teach in an area that is related to topic of interest
- Talk to Honors Program Coordinator about how honors project can enhance program of study
- Select a faculty member to serve as Honors Project adviser
- Talk with project adviser about project idea(s) and narrow topic to a reasonable research project
- Begin background research on your topic
- Complete and submit Honors Project Proposal form during 2nd semester of junior year or 1st semester of senior year
NOTE: Consider submitting your proposal early if you will be off-campus during your senior year or want some breathing room during your final term.
- Conduct your research for the Honors Project
- Present your research findings at an University Honors Project Poster Session