Business is Global
The best way to learn is through experience and the best time to have an international experience is now!
The Ivy College of Business International Programs Office is here to help you explore the world while taking courses that will count toward the completion of your business degree. We will help you select a study abroad program that fits your schedule, your budget, and your sense of adventure. We have partnered with excellent institutions around the world that offer business classes in English for your semester or summer abroad. Or, you can take an international study course and learn while you travel with your classmates and professor during a semester break.
One of the best ways to “Enjoy Your Adventure” here at Iowa State is to go have an adventure abroad! Contact us at email@example.com to get your journey started.
SOCIAL ENTREPRENEURSHIP IN UGANDA
Take MGMT/ENTSP 410: Social Entrepreneurship and travel to the Pearl of Africa.
Social entrepreneurship is an approach to entrepreneurship in which start-ups and entrepreneurs focus on developing and implementing solutions that bring about positive social, cultural, or environmental change. In this program, you will spend the start of the Fall term learning the background of entrepreneurship in the context of solving social problems. Hands on application will start early as you approve loans for an ongoing microfinance project, learn from entrepreneurs here in Iowa that have a focus on Africa, and from Ugandan entrepreneurs.
Thanksgiving Break you will travel to Uganda and engage with communities to learn first hand about the unique entrepreneurial landscape. Through community meetings, small scale consulting, community trainings, and contact with local entrepreneurs you will come back with an understanding of the benefits and challenges of entrepreneurial enterprises in the Ugandan context.
In addition to business activities, we will introduce you to the beauty of Ugandan culture and wildlife. A wildlife safari will bring you to the elephants, cooking lessons will help you appreciate traditional Ugandan foods and an adventure to Jinja will take you right to the source of the Nile river.
Student participants from 2019 have described the experience as “life-changing”, “so amazing it’s hard to put into words”, and “one of the best experiences of my time at Iowa State”
PRIORITY APPLICATION DEADLINE IS MARCH 1, 2020. APPLY NOW!
Study Abroad for a Semester, Year, or Summer
Take classes (in English) for a semester, year, or summer term on the campus of one of our partner institutions. Start your search on ISUAbroad and make an appointment with our International Programs Coordinator to get the process started.
International study courses give you an option of earning ISU credit while learning abroad in the company of your classmates and an Ivy College of Business faculty member over a spring break or during the summer. Some of these faculty-led courses involve live case studies and all involve company visits with international businesses. As an added bonus, Ivy College of Business students in good standing going on an Ivy College of Business faculty-led program automatically receive a scholarship!
If you are interested in working while you explore a new country, an international internship is the way to go. Start by making an appointment to speak with your Career Coordinator about the options. Click the button below to check out available international internship programs on ISUAbroad.
Online Appointment Scheduling
In order to schedule an appointment with your adviser, please follow the steps below:
- Go to Access+
- Click the Student tab
- Choose “ISU Appointments” in the left-side menu
- Follow the prompts (when asked for ‘location’, look for 1200 Gerdin in the drop-down) and set up your appointment with Taylor Shire
Scholarships for Study Abroad
There are lots of ways to fund your adventure abroad! Your financial aid award stays with you while you are studying abroad and there are additional study abroad scholarships available, including the Ivy College of Business Study Abroad Scholarship. Start your search for other scholarships here and make an appointment with the Ivy College of Business International Programs Coordinator for more information.
“Studying abroad has been a dream experience. I have learned more about life in a few months through conversations with locals and observations while traveling than I have in my entire time as an undergraduate. Being overseas for a semester and taking classes at a different school has given me a well-rounded college experience and an upper-hand moving to the next stages of life because of the lessons I’ve learned in international business, personal finances, politics, different cultures, history, and art. Every student in the College of Business should take advantage of the opportunities available to study abroad – whether it’s for a week over spring break or for an entire year, it’s an experience worth pursuing.”
Featured Study Abroad Programs
These are semester-long or summer programs that have many courses available for Ivy College of Business students. Please be sure to contact the Ivy College of Business International Programs Office for details on each program and to work closely with your academic adviser to select courses.
Search by Country
- A Semester in Aix-en-Provence, France (with IAU College and CEA)
- Liberal Arts and Business
- must take one French language course
- A Semester (or Year) in Paris, France at ESSEC Business School
- A Semester in Germany at Philipps-Universitat Marburg
- students are required to take one German language course
- University of Mannheim
- students cannot enroll in courses in the college of business, but can take business classes on the general elective list
- A Semester in Caceres
- Spanish courses only – great for Spanish double majors/minors
- A Semester in Caceres
Spring 2020 Faculty-Led Programs
March 12 – 22, 2020
- MKT 492: Comparative Marketing
- Sao Paulo and Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
- During the spring semester, you will develop the skills needed to examine how marketing in the United States differs from marketing abroad. Over spring break, travel to Brazil to see for yourself how companies such as Embraer operate in the multinational sector while maintaining local relevance.
- MGMT 367: International Entrepreneurship
- Dublin, Ireland
- Learn about entrepreneurship in one of the most innovative cities in the world! See how culture and business intersect to influence business operations all while getting to know a little about old of the oldest cities in Europe.
- FIN 491: Global Capital Markets
- Madrid and Barcelona, Spain
- Throughout the semester you will meet for class to learn the basics and then over spring break you will travel to Madrid and Barcelona, Spain. While in Spain the class will conduct several business visits that will give you an up-close and personal view of markets in action. You’ll hear from managers and executives at Citibank Spain, John Deere Iberica, SEAT, and more!
- SCM 491: International Supply Chain Management Live Case
- Santiago, Chile
- During the course of the semester, you will examine all aspects of a Corteva supply chain. Part of this exploration will take you to Santiago, Chile over spring break to experience the international supply chain while exploring the rich culture of Chile. Throughout the program, you will work closely with Corteva and have opportunities to network in a professional context.
- Program sponsored in part by the Supply Chain Forum
- MIS 491: Consulting and Enterprise Resource Planning
- Frankfurt, Germany
- Learn how consulting companies work with organizations to implement ERP systems. Visits with Accenture in Chicago and SAP world headquarters in Germany.
Fall 2019 and Spring 2020 Student Blogs
Name: Sarah Hughes
Program/University: University of Exeter
Location: London, United Kingdom
Name: Miles Utley
Program/University: The American International University
Location: London, England
Fall 2018 and Spring 2019 Student Blogs
Name: Emma Chizek
Major: Supply Chain Management and International Business
Program/University: A Semester at Anglo American University with CEA
Location: Prague, Czech Republic
Name: Wyatt Fromknecht
Major: Supply Chain Management and Marketing
Program/University: A Semester at Philipps-Universität Marburg
Location: Marburg, Germany
Fall 2017 and Spring 2018 Student Blogs
Name: Beverly Richardson
Major: Supply Chain Management
Program/University: Hong Kong Baptist University
Location: Hong Kong
Name: Stephanie Wathier
Major: Management/Hospitality Management
Program/University: Semester in New Zealand: University of Otago
Location: Dunedin, New Zealand