View Directory | Update Your Profile
Abhay N Mishra
Dr. Mishra is Associate Professor and Kingland Faculty Fellow in Business Analytics at the Debbie and Jerry Ivy College of Business at Iowa State University. He received his Ph.D. from the University of Texas at Austin.
Abhay’s research has focused on the application of digital innovations and analytics on organizations and individuals. In recent years, Abhay’s research interests have included business analytics, healthcare IT, sharing economy, IT and labor, crowdfunding, IT and business processes, and IT use and business value. He is very interested in the application of data science tools in healthcare, agriculture, financial services, logistics and manufacturing industries. His research has been referenced in Yahoo! Finance, CNBC, Business Wire, Insurance News Net, Healthcare Financial Management Association, phys.org, Sciencedaily, Iowa State News, Iowa State VP Research and others.
Abhay’s research has been published in premier information systems, operations management and healthcare journals. He enjoys working on challenging problems that have rigorous academic and compelling pragmatic components. He seeks out opportunities to work with smart researchers worldwide.
Dr. Mishra has taught a variety of information systems, health care, analytics and operations management courses to undergraduate, MBA, MSA, MHA, doctoral, and Executive MBA students. He has received teaching awards at Iowa State University, Georgia State University, and Carnegie Mellon University.
Abhay is serving as an Associate Editor at Information Systems Research. He served as an Associate Editor at MIS Quarterly, and was on the editorial board of the Journal of the Association of Information Systems during 2016-2020.
Academic Work Experience
- Health Information Technology and Applications
- IT Use and Business Value
- Business Analytics, Artificial Intelligence, Data Science and Applications
- Crowdfunding and Crowdsourcing
- Platform Economy and Social Media
- IT and the Future of Work
- IT Capabilities and Strategy
- Digital Innovations, Operational and Strategic Transformations and Organizational Performance
- Söllner, M., A. N. Mishra, J-M. Becker, J. M. Leimeister. (forthcoming) "Use IT again? Dynamic roles of habit, intention and their interaction on continued system use by individuals in utilitarian, volitional contexts.", European Journal of Information Systems, Link to Paper
- Weinmann, M., A. N. Mishra, L. Kaiser, J. vom Brocke. (forthcoming) "The Attraction Effect in Crowdfunding", Information Systems Research, Link to Paper
- Montanera, D., A. N. Mishra, T. S. Raghu. (2021) "Mitigating risk selection in health care entitlement programs: A beneficiary-level competitive bidding approach.", Information Systems Research, 25 (4):394-415. Link to Paper
- Mishra, A. N., Y. Tao, M. Keil, J. (Cath) Oh. (2022) "Functional IT complementarity and hospital performance in the United States: A longitudinal investigation.", Information Systems Research, (accepted August 2021); 33 (1):55-75. Link to Paper
- Tao, Y., A. N. Mishra, K. Masyn, M. Keil. (2022) "Addressing change trajectories and reciprocal relationships: A longitudinal method for information systems research", Communications of the Association for Information Systems, 50 (1):22. Link to Paper
- Burton-Jones, A., M-K. Stein, A. N. Mishra. (2018) "IS use. Research Curation for MIS Quarterly.", Link to Paper
- Singh, R., L. Mathiassen, A. N. Mishra. (2015) "Organizational path constitution in technological innovation: Evidence from rural telehealth.", MIS Quarterly: Management Information Systems, 39 (3):643-665. Link to Paper
- Yu, S., A. N. Mishra, A. Gopal, S. Slaughter, T. Mukhopadhyay. (2015) "E-procurement infusion and operational process impacts in MRO procurement: Complementary or substitutive effects?", Production and Operations Management, 24 (7):1054-1070. Link to Paper
- Mishra, A. N., P. Ketsche, J. Marton, A. Snyder, S. McLaren. (2014) "Examining the potential of information technology to improve public insurance application processes: Enrollee assessments from a concurrent mixed method analysis.", 21 (6):1045-1052. Link to Paper
- Bhargava, H., A. N. Mishra. (2014) "Electronic medical records and physician productivity: Evidence from panel data analysis.", Management Science, 60 (10):2543-2562. Link to Paper
- Mishra, A. N., S. Devaraj, G. Vaidyanathan. (2013) "Capability hierarchy in electronic procurement and procurement process performance: An empirical analysis.", Journal of Operations Management, 31 (6):376-390. Link to Paper
- Devaraj, S., G. Vaidyanathan, A. N. Mishra. (2012) "Effect of purchase volume flexibility and purchase mix flexibility on e-procurement performance: An analysis of two perspectives.", Journal of Operations Management, 30 (7-8):509-520. Link to Paper
- Mishra, A. N., C. Anderson, C. M. Angst, R. Agarwal. (2012) "Electronic health records assimilation and physician identity evolution: An identity theory perspective.", Information Systems Research, 23 (3, Part 1 of 2):738-760. Link to Paper
- Mishra, A. N., R. Agarwal. (2010) "Technological frames, organizational capabilities, and IT use: An empirical investigation of electronic procurement.", Information Systems Research, 21 (2):249-270. Link to Paper
- Mishra, A. N., P. Konana, A. Barua. (2007) "Antecedents and consequences of Internet use in procurement: An empirical investigation of U.S. manufacturing firms.", Information Systems Research, 18 (1):103-120. Link to Paper