Dermot Hayes is a Charles F. Curtiss Distinguished Professor in Agriculture and Life Sciences at Iowa State University. He holds the Pioneer Hi-Bred International Chair in Agribusiness, he is a professor of economics, and a professor of finance. In 2006 he received a “Publication of Enduring Quality” award from the Agricultural and Applied Economics Association. AAEA named him a Fellow in 2007, its highest recognition for distinction in the discipline. Besides his analysis of U.S. farm policy and international agricultural trade, his other research interests include crop insurance, financial derivatives and the potential impact of China on commodity markets. Since 1995 he has been a consulting trade economist for the National Pork Producers Association.
- MS, Agricultural Economics, University of California- Berkeley, 1982
- PhD, Agricultural Economics - International Trade, University of California- Berkeley, 1986
- BSc, Agricultural Economics, University College Dublin, Ireland, 1981
- Agricultural Markets and Trade
- Wenwen Xi, Dermot Hayes and Sergio Horacio Lence (2019) "Variance risk premia for agricultural commodities", Agricultural Finance Review,
- Keri L Jacobs, Ziran Li, Dermot Hayes (2018) "Reference-Dependent Hedging: Theory and Evidence from Iowa Corn Producers", American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
- J Dumortier, N Kauffman, DJ Hayes (2017) "Production and spatial distribution of switchgrass and miscanthus in the United States under uncertainty and sunk cost", Energy Economics, 67:300-314.
- Chao Li, Dermot J Hayes (2017) "Price Discovery on the International Soybean Futures Markets: A Threshold Co‐Integration Approach", Journal of Futures Markets, 37 (1):52=70.
- Xiaoguang Feng, Dermot Hayes, (2016) " Diversifying systemic risk in agriculture", Agricultural Finance Review, 76 (4):512=531.
- Stephen Smith, Sergio Lence, Dermot Hayes, Julian Alston, Eloy Corona (2016) "Elements of Intellectual Property Protection in Plant Breeding and Biotechnology: Interactions and Outcomes", Crop Science, 56 (4)