Guy G. Helmer
Title: Professor of Practice
Department: Information Systems and Business Analytics
Office: 3437 Gerdin Business Building
Phone number: (515) 294-1768
Experienced engineering leader in information security, software development & engineering, cloud computing, networking, and machine learning.
- Research experience: operating system and network intrusion detection using distributed agents; high-performance computing research at Ames Laboratory.
- Entrepreneurial experience as an early employee at Palisade Systems (2000-2013 - last position: CTO), and joined Absolute Software in 2013 with the acquisition of Palisade Systems' assets (current position: Distinguished Engineer). Experience in high-performance deep packet inspection & TCP/IP network protocols, kernel development on multiple platforms, natural language processing, operating system & network security, large-scale SaaS systems, and big data analytics of web usage, app usage, and protected data on devices. Participation in numerous open-source communities, including FreeBSD operating system. Squid network cache, and many others. Established Internet services at Dakota State University in 1990/1991 with an NSF grant, and into State of South Dakota government in 1992. Past experience in system programming, network engineering, dairy farming, and accounting.
- Teaching in the ISU College of Business 2007-present, including Java and Python programming, enterprise sybersecurity management, and enterprise management of systems and networks.
- Consulting experience: major ag equipment manufacturer (system security and performance analysis), state governenment health information systems, and network installation & management.
- Occasional speaker at industry events including the RSA Conference.
- Iowa State University, Ames, IA
- Ph.D. in Computer Science, 2000 Thesis: Intelligent multi-agent system for intrusion detection and countermeasures
- M.S. in Computer Science, 1998 Creative Component: Intelligent agents for intrusion detection
- South Dakota School of Mines and Technology, Rapid City, SD
- B.S. in Computer Science, with honors, 1989
- DevOps, Agile Development / Continuous Integration, Kubernetes / Docker
- Software & Safety Engineering
- High Performance Computation