Russ is the John and Connie Stafford Professor of Business and Professor of Marketing in the Debbie and Jerry Ivy College of Business at Iowa State University. Russ formerly served as editor of the Journal of Advertising and was president and treasurer of the American Academy of Advertising. His research deals with the interface of marketing communication and public policy/societal issues. Currently, his work focuses on issues relating to parents' and children’s interactions about the media including advertising. Moreover, he has recently begun studying the interface of supply-chain activities and consumer decision making. When not working, Russ enjoys sharing time with his family often watching movies, listening to music or riding his bicycle. Few know that Russ has completed 14 marathons and still currently runs, though far shorter distances than 26 miles.
- PhD, Marketing, University of Nebraska-Lincoln, 1987
- MBA, Operations Research and Marketing, University of Wisconsin-Madison, 1979
- BS, Business Administration, Marquette University, 1978
Professional Work ExperienceAssistant Staff Manager - Residence ProductsWisconsin Bell1980 - 1981Assistant Staff Manager - Marketing ResearchWisconsin Bell1981 - 1983
- Consumer Behavior
- Marketing Research
AwardsIvan L. Preston Outstanding Lifetime Contribution to Research Award 2015
- Walker, Douglas, Deanne Brocato, Les Carlson and Russell N. Laczniak (2018) "Parent’s and Children’s Violent Video Game Play: Does Co-Playing Help", Jornal of Consumer Marketing, 35 (6):623-632.
- Vijayalakshmi, Akshaya, Jenny Lin and Russell N. Laczniak (2018) "Managing Children’s Internet Advertising Experiences: Parental Preferences for Regulation", Journal of Consumer Affairs, 52 (3):592-622.
- Kordrostami, Melika, Akshaya Vijayalakshmi and Russell N. Laczniak (2018) "Children’s Media Consumption: Parental Concerns and Parental Mediation in Iran and the US", Journal of Marketing Management, 34 (9/10):1-23.
- Jenny Lin, Samantha Cross, Russell Laczniak and Terry Childers (2018) "The Sniffing Effect: Olfactory Sensitivity and Olfactory Imagery in Advertising", Journal of Advertising, 47 (2):97-111.
- Russell Laczniak, Douglas Walker, Les Carlson and E. Deanne Brocato (2017) "Parental Restrictive Mediation and Children’s Violent Videogame Play: The Role of ESRB Ratings", Journal of Public Policy & Marketing, 36 (1):70-78. Link to Paper
- Walker, Douglas, Russell N. Laczniak, Les Carlson and Deanne Brocato (2016) "Parenting Orientations as Antecedents of Children's Violent Videogame Play", Journal of Consumer Affairs, 50 (2):430-457.
- Laczniak, Russell N. and Les Carlson (2018) "Children and Advertising ", Oxford Bibliographies in Communication, Link to Paper