Annaleena Parhankangas is Kingland Professor and Associate Professor of Entrepreneurship at Iowa State University, Ivy College of Business. She received her PhD from Helsinki University of Technology, Finland and has extensive research, teaching and administrative experience from various universities in Northern Europe and North America. Her research interests focus on the questions of how the inter-organizational relationships of new ventures affect their performance and innovativeness. Her most recent research focuses on entrepreneurial communication and how it may level the playing field for entrepreneurs and innovators that have been traditionally overlooked by business angels, venture capitalists and banks. Such underrepresented groups in entrepreneurship include women, immigrant, Indigenous and senior entrepreneurs. Annaleena Parhankangas teaches classes in Entrepreneurship and Innovation as well as International Entrepreneurship at Iowa State University.
Annaleena’s research and teaching has won many awards. Her research is published in top entrepreneurship and management journals, such as Journal of Business Venturing, Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice, Organization Studies and Research Policy. She serves on the editorial boards of Journal of Business Venturing, Venture Capital: International Journal of Entrepreneurial Finance, International Journal of Technoentrepreneurship, Academy of Management Perspectives and Administrative Sciences.
- PhD, Strategy and International Business, Helsinki University of Technology, 1999
- MSc in Industrial Management and Engineering, Strategy and International Business, Helsinki University of Technology, 1994
- Entrepreneurial Finance
- Entrepreneurial Communication
- International business
- Chan, C. R., Park, H. D., Huang, J. Y., & Parhankangas, A. (2020) "Less is more? Evidence for a curvilinear relationship between readability and screening evaluations across pitch competition and crowdfunding contexts", Journal of Business Venturing Insights, 14
- Chan, C.S., Parhankangas, A., Sahayam, A., & Oo, P. "Bellwether and the herd? Unpacking the u-shaped relationship between prior funding and subsequent contributions in reward-based crowdfunding", Journal of Business Venturing,
- Parhankangas, A., & Renko, M. (2017) "Linguistic style and crowdfunding success among social and commercial entrepreneurs", Journal of Business Venturing, 32:215-236.
- Chan, R.S., & Parhankangas, A. (2017) "Crowdfunding Innovations", Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice, 41 (2):237-263.
- Parhankangas, A., & Ehrlich, M. (2014) "How entrepreneurs seduce business angels: An impression management approach", Journal of Business Venturing, 29 (4):543-564.
- Feller, J., Parhankangas, A., Smeds, R, & Jaatinen, M. (2013) "How companies learn to collaborate: Emergence of improved inter-organizational processes in R&D alliances", Organization Studies, 34 (3):313-343.
- Parhankangas, A., & Landström, H. (2006) "How Venture Capitalists Respond to Unmet Expectations: The Role of Social Environment", Journal of Business Venturing, 21 (6):773-801.
- Sapienza, H.J., Parhankangas, A. & Autio, E. (2004) "Knowledge Relatedness, Learning and Growth of Young Industrial Spin-Off Firms", Journal of Business Venturing, 19 (6):809-829.
- Parhankangas, A and Arenius, P. (2003) "From a Corporate Venture to an Independent Company: A Base for a Typology for Corporate Spin-Off Firms", Research Policy, 32 (3):463-481.